Toddler Trials

Tuesday, October 28, 2008


"Lord, give me the strength to get through this day." This is a typical, daily, even hourly prayer in my household. Recently I was reading the book, "Baby and Child Care," by Focus on the Family and it had a second portion to this prayer: "Lord, help me understand, appreciate, and marvel at this incredible creation You have loaned to me." How important is that second portion???? I feel like I am in survival mode, just trying to 'get through' these turbulent times in our lives. And I try to take time to sit down and enjoy the incredible kids that God has given me, but I am finding a concerning pattern since having Selah. Selah is quiet. She is simple. She cries when she is hungry, smiles and cooes, laughs and giggles, sits where I put her, and sleeps when I tell her to. That is that. Caleb is my monkey man. He gets into everything, runs all over my house in pursuit of new things to destroy, screams when he can't have his way, throws things, breaks things, and on and on it goes. It is too easy to compare, too easy to forget to marvel at my son. He is so incredible and each day brings new discovery, and yet there are days I am too tired or frustrated to notice or care. So for today, I committ to marvelling at my little boy.

1 comment