Growing Up

Friday, October 17, 2008


I have come to realize that my life can be a bit of a conundrum at times. The days seem to drag by at an unreasonably slow pace, and yet I look back and this year has passed faster than I could have imagined. I remember when Caleb was born, looking into his beautiful eyes for the first time. Watching him reach each new milestone with so much pride. How is it that my content little baby boy has turned into a two-legged terror? Waddling throughout my house, seeking rooms to destroy and forbidden areas to discover. My resounding "no!'s" are greeted with his cheeky little smirk as he reaches for it once more. It is at these times that my heart melts in my chest. And all of a sudden, I can relate to all those times I was told "enjoy it, they grow so fast." And the thought of watching my little boy grow up into his own individual until he no longer needs his momma, terrifies me! It forces me to grab my camera and capture those infamous moments that are gone in a flash. To forever remember his first teetering steps, his hammed-up smile for the camera, his first words... so that I can cherish them forever.

Having kids is the most rewarding and worthwhile thing you could ever do. You are not only creating your legacy, but you are provided with a glimpse into God's heart, for it is only when I am hugging and cuddling my children that I have a scarce understanding of the father heart of our creator. And yet having kids is a risk. It forces you to open your heart and love these little people with all you are.... and more, only to have them grow up and leave you one day for a life of their own. And so, despite my hesitation of the years to come, I will enjoy every minute of being a mother. I will capture every moment that I can and treasure this stage in our family for the rest of my life. Knowing that God will give me the strength for the rest when the time comes. Until then, I will teach my children to love and cherish me... so that they will have no choice but to stay nearby once they 'leave the nest'! (isn't that how it works???)



No comments:

Post a Comment