Why I am a stay at home mom

Saturday, August 21, 2010

I recently wrote an article for Suite101 titled, "Should you be a stay at home mom?" and received quite a response from it. I thought I was being very careful to fairly represent both sides of this controversial issue. The reality is, there are many mothers who would like to stay at home with their kids but are unable to afford the cost of living on only one income. Most of the critical comments I received came from mothers who work not because they have to, but because they want to. Although this was not my target audience, I found myself unable to stay silent after I read my last comment. They posted a link they thought would be better received, an article from the globe and mail titled, "Ditch the guilt, working moms: the kids are all right". In order to fully understand my position and arguments, please read this article before proceeding.

Let us begin by carefully examining all sides of this issue. There are three types of career mothers:

1. The financially obligated mother
2. The motivated and goal-orientated mother
3. The "my kids are driving me nuts!" mother

The first group I addressed in my article. I understand and appreciate the mothers who work to help supplement their household income. This is not an easy day and age to live in and sometimes two incomes is the only solution.

To the second group, I can relate. I am a motivated and goal-oriented person myself. I am always looking for the next challenge to conquer, and as soon as I have, I am on to the next hurdle. Because of this, I often battle discontentment and am constantly on the lookout for vices through which I can feel like a person, not just mom. Now, I try to find things that can keep me in my home. Various hobbies can sometimes do the trick, or my current fling with teaching piano lessons. Let's be perfectly clear here: being a mother is not rewarding. I have heard parents say, "being a mom/dad is so rewarding." They are lying. Being a parent is a blessing, and one day we will reap the rewards of our hard work. My children bless me every day! But it is not rewarding. Your kids will not praise you for putting them on timeout for the 100th time or taking away a privilege when you just want the whining to stop! You will not get a pat on the back every time you clean the bathroom or a great referral letter. There is no ladder to climb, no sense of completion (take cleaning the house for example... the job that NEVER ends). So for the parents that yearn for something more, I understand. I too yearn for more at times. And this is where my faith comes in to play. As a Christian, I believe that I am called to be content in my circumstances. Not that I am never allowed to want more, but this is not just where God has put me, but it is where I have put myself. I chose to be a mom. I chose to have kids. Now I live with the reality of that choice... raising them. I daily accept my role and wear the responsibility of that choice and calling. And with God's daily help, I do so with joy!

The third group of mothers are the one to which the posted article refers. To these mothers, I have no mercy. If your reason for working is to escape your children than you are a coward and have every reason to feel guilty. You became a mom, whether by choice or accident, it happened. There are consequences and they are presented in these beautiful little baby's. When a mother says that their child is "driving them crazy" and they just can't stand it anymore (the child to which the woman in the article refers is only 9 months old) then I believe that they are being selfish. Yes, your child will be FINE in daycare. Yes, they will learn some new tricks, copy the older children. They might learn more than they would at home if you just stuck them in front of the TV all day. HOWEVER, they are NOT learning character. They are not learning your values. And, more importantly, they are NOT bonding or forming an attachment to you. Because of this most of these mother's kids will most likely rebel as teenagers. They won't feel obligated to please mom and dad. They will be used to following the crowd and having their "space." They will have all the toys they want, but they will be distant and aloof. And both you, and your child, will suffer in the long run. When they are sick or tired, they won't be calling for you... why would they, you are never around? No, they will call for their nanny or caregiver. They are attached to them. They feel loved, secure, and safe with them. The article states that, "Few (mothers) if any would consider devoting themselves completely to child care" All I can say is that the author of this article doesn't know very many mothers. Hundreds, thousands of mothers choose to devote themselves selfishly and whole heartily to the care and well-being of their child. 


"The real question is: Is staying home with babies generally good for the mental development and behaviour of most new mothers?"


No, my friend. The real question is this: If being with your own child is detrimental to your mental development and behaviour, why on earth did you EVER have kids in the first place?!?!?!?!? 


This article bashes stay at home moms because they guilt working moms. No, working moms feel guilty because they know there is something more to raising kids. Sure, your kids will grow up... with or without your help. But what will they grow into? Who is guiding them and teaching them? Whose values are they learning? Their teachers? Their peers? The cool drug-addict at school? The snotty, rude 7 year old at playgroup? Or perhaps one of the adults they are told and expected to trust who turn out to be a pedophile. Do you know? How could you possibly know the outcome of your child's growth, see the man or woman they will become when you just cart them blindly to their various groups and caregivers, and just hope for the best. 


Hoping is not good enough for me. I intend to KNOW!

5 comments

  1. I couldnt have said it better Becca That article really struck a nerve with me also. This is my reason to stay home, God blessed me wit three beautiful why would I work their childhood away. I agree that some mothers do have to work and I feel for them but I have no merce either for the mothers who choose to work to "get away from their kids" Thanks for you opinion Becca
    ps love the pic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Becca, that article made my blood boil I think! Thanks for your thoughts...and you are so right!
    One small thing I disagree with you on. I believe being a mom is rewarding. I understand that maybe it isn't as much when your kids are little, but I think we "reap the rewards" sooner than we sometimes realize. Something as simple as seeing your child stand up for someone who is being bullied. Very rewarding...and letting you know you're doing something right.

    I know those years when your kids are little are hard & it does not feel rewarding, but those rewards do come, so hang in there:)

    I hope you know what I mean. I completely agree with your comments about working vs. staying home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. That comment was a bit harsh on my behalf. I feel so blessed to be a mother and my kids are wonderful. I guess I meant it related to work. There is no constant pat on the back, praise, appreciation. No one even NOTICES what I do around here. But I do believe there are rewards later in life. I am just in the stage right now where I don't see it yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm...I came across this post through a link from the article that Rebecca is commenting on. As the happy, well-adjusted adult child of two working parents, and later, a stay at home dad, I take exception to the negative perception of women who choose to go back to work after having children. Sure, the statement "my child is driving me crazy" is a little cavalier, and parents need to be prepared to make room in their lives for a child. However, not being a stay at home parent doesn't mean being an absentee parent! Although my parents both worked full time jobs for the first 7 years of my life, they had ample time to instill values and morals in my sisters and I, and we never felt unloved or unwanted. My father became a stay at home dad when our caregiver decided to go back to school, and as the years went by, I was able to observe the toll that parenting full time took on his mental health. He was the perfect homemaker, and his devotion to my sisters and I was admired and commented on by everyone in our neighbourhood (especially the other stay-at-home parents). However, he became increasingly depressed, and began to abuse alcohol as a coping mechanism. Although I love my father and appreciate how much he sacrificed for our family, I would rather have continued with a nanny and spared my dad the years of depression and alcoholism that he has only now recovered from (I'm 26 and my youngest sister is 22). I think the take home message is that not everyone can be a full time parent. It's a tough job; one of the toughest I think, because of the isolation, lack of intellectual stimulation and lack of communication with other adults. And in the end, in order to be a good parent, you have to be happy and healthy. If that means working full or part time, then that's what you've got to do. As long as the kids are all right, parenting decisions should be a judgement-free personal choice! And it should be a two way street. I realize that stay-at-home parents also suffer from negative perceptions and over-generalizations.

    ReplyDelete