Heart Change

Thursday, August 19, 2010

It is a wonderful afternoon. I say that because my kids never ended up napping (except for in the car) so I am very excited to lay them down at 7 sharp. We went into town this morning, so my whole day has seemed short. Ah, I love short days. Anyways, we were going to go to the wildlife park, but it is so smokey out there both jonathan and I felt sick and thought it would be best to just leave it. So we went to bag sale at Lizzie Bits instead. I love bag sale. I had a credit from all my consignment, so I got a ton of stuff. Even got to try out the Rockin' Green everyone's been talking about (my load is in the wash right now). Now I sit here, surrounded by a haze of smoke outside, thinking about my day.

We picked up an old school desk today from a lady in town (which as you can see is still in the truck because I am waiting for my sweet husband to carry it in for me). Have I mentioned I LOVE kijiji???? Anyways, she asked what we would be using it for and I told her we would be using it for homeschooling our children. She was very interested in this decision as she said she had always considered it old-fashioned and weird, but more and more people were doing it and she wondered why. So we laid our case before her: what Jonathan has seen and witnessed in the elementary schools, the lack of control over their education, the long time involved sitting both at school and home doing homework and the desire to give our kids a foundation because they are so impressionable. She could tell we were passionate about it and I realized that yeah, I guess we are! A couple of years ago, Jonathan was against homeschooling. It is amazing how this idea has formed and grown in our minds and hearts over the last year that we have been talking about it. We are passionate about our kids and we are passionate about both their education and, more importantly, their souls. We cannot protect them forever, we won't be homeschooling them forever. But, we can give our family a foundation of faith, love, and example that hopefully they will carry throughout their lifetime.

Anyways, here's to a good day, already half gone... and change. Which can sometimes happen so subtly you don't even realize it has occurred :)

No comments:

Post a Comment