Who, me?

Friday, March 19, 2010

The sun is shining, the birds are singing, I have fresh stew simmering in the crock-pot and kids screaming in the background. And I think to myself: How will I find the creativity to write today? My mind feels like a nice pot of mashed potatoes. Trying to pick out coherent thoughts is possible, I am sure, but the question is, is it worth the trouble? You see, this is one of those days. You know the ones where you just seem to float on the sweet wisps of indifference? I am floating. Finding the will to focus is far from my sight and I feel like I simply pass through the motions one by one. Somewhere, in the deep, dark crevices of my mind, I know I should care... should devote myself fully to my tasks. But sadly it all comes down to the majority. And the majority vote is in, I'm too tired to be vibrant today. The rainbow is gone, the sparkle in my eye must have been carelessly misplaced. Today I am just me. Today, I just try to get by and do what I have to do. Not to say I am discontent. Neither am I faced with the bleak prospect of unhappiness. Instead I am simply plagued by the familiar pit of complacency and the effort it takes to climb out seems hopelessly out of reach. 

And so I sit at my kitchen table, watching the sun move its way painstakingly across the sky, and pining away for yet another cup of coffee. The house waits in utter disarray and I choose to be an innocent bystander in this game of "house".  I claim the right to wide-eyed naivety! I can do my work, I can watch the kids, I can make dinner... and at the end of the day when I look around at the things I failed to accomplish, I will boldly ask the question, "who me?" And so, don't point your fingers at me today! Please reserve your judgement for tomorrow. Because today... I claim ignorance!

No comments:

Post a Comment