Daily Duel

Saturday, March 13, 2010




DAILY DUEL

The morning starts, the day is here
I roll over, my duty is clear

Pressing snooze I start to doze
But 10 minutes later, my rest is deposed

I sigh, I groan, I shake my head
And my weary body I force out of bed
"Try to be brave, try to be strong"
My mantra runs through my head like a song

I shower, I wash, I go to the sink
And there I mix up my favourite drink
Coffee in hand, my hair in a towel
My kids start to stir and call my foul

I look at the clock, disbelief on my face
My kids must think this a marvelous race
They must know, they must sense, they must have a hunch
To irritate mommy, they'll beat me to the punch!

I try to tune out the sounds that I hear
At least it's not crying, a few minutes so dear
I sit at the table and squeak out a prayer
"Oh God help me not to pull out all my hair!"

I pad down the hallway and open their door
Their faces light up, and I know this is war
It starts off with smiles and cute little antics
And then there's the screaming 'til one of us panics

My heart in my throat in anticipation
I make them some breakfast, with great expectation
They look at my meal and snub down their nose
And on the floor their disdainful food goes

I take them downstairs and cleanup with a sigh
And think to myself: "how will I get by?"
I turn on the TV for a moment of peace
And but for a minute the fighting does cease

We color, we play, we frolic outside
They scream and they fight and their time they bide
Until, of course, their father walks in
Somehow they are perfect: they squeal, laugh and grin

I try to explain the day that I've had
He looks at their smiles and says "it can't be that bad"
And so I trudge my way to bedtime
And flop on the couch with a feeling sublime

The day is over, the deed is done
Now I just wait for another one!
I try not to think of the trials ahead
  As I sit and relax with my husband instead



1 comment