Judging Joe

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Judgement. An unavoidable enemy we face every day. I am greeted by its familiar stench every time I open my front door, or go to the store, or take my kids for a walk. It is an unfortunate reality of this world we live in, and we all find ourselves passing out a serving once in a while--whether it be justified or not.

Its presence has become a fact that I begrudgingly accept, however I am becoming increasingly aware of a certain group of people that seems to surpass the rest in the "critical examinations" they assign. Old people.




Almost every time we go out we are bombarded with a series of angry looks or condescending glares. And this is just the beginning. From here, it escalates to mutters or 'deceptively sweet' comments. Take today for example, when the kids are standing up barefoot: "Oh my, that can't be easy on his feet can it?" And from there, it continues its path of deterioration to the gossiping whispers that are somehow just loud enough for you to overhear: "Oh my, Marvin, that can't be good for his feet. Tsk tsk. Oh! He looks like he is going to fall over. Well in my day....."

I am officially FED-UP with the "sweet old person" facade that is painted on their faces as they publicly humiliate us and berate us as parents and families. Let me get something straight... in 'your day' children were perfect? In your day they never misbehaved? Or ran away from you? Or maybe you only had a few children instead of the two toddlers we have running circles around us. Or perhaps you lived on a farm where they didn't have the opportunity to wreak havoc on the delicate balance of a shopping cart and instead spent their days running with the cows?????!?!?!?! Whatever the reasoning, either they have forgotten the realities of parenthood, or time has drastically changed the culture in which we raise our newest generation. Give us a break! How are we supposed to survive as a family unit when we are criticized on every front and from every side? It makes me want to stay in the peace and quiet of my home where my kids can be kids without someone staring down their excitement!

And so, I beseech you, whether you be old or young... next time you see a young family struggling to just "get through" the shopping trip that is on everyones last nerves: reserve your judgement. For it is the very few and far between people who give you a kind smile, or pat your arm reassuringly as you struggle to grasp a flailing, screaming 2 year old that gives you the strength to do it all over again the next time. And strength is a gift that is often in too short a supply.

No comments:

Post a Comment