Kids, kids everywhere

Monday, November 17, 2008


"We want more kids" says Angelina Jolie, mother of 6. "a big family is the best gift you could ever ask for or imagine" says some unknown famous family with 7 children (read in a magazine somewhere). And all I can think of as I read these ridiculous excerpts is: "well sure you love having tons of kids, you have a nanny! All you have to do is take them to the park and see their smiles and then pass them off when they are bothering you. Not too shabby indeed." Having all those children on your own... that is another issue. I sit here, drinking my coffee in one of the VERY few moments of peace and quiet I have in my day. Add some more kidlets and those moments will be virtually non-existent! My life with two under two is crazy enough as it is!

And yet, as I was in Walmart not too long ago, I saw a mother with 8 children, all under 10 (ahhh!). The 6 year old was holding onto the 3 year old. The 8 year old was holding the one year old. They were waiting so patiently in line with a cart heaped to enourmous and unbelievable heights. And I thought to myself... I could see myself with that many kids. That is not to say we are going to have eight children, but it sparked a flame somewhere inside that cannot be quenched, I want a big family. Every morning the kids wake up, I am exhausted and a little bit grumpy, but as soon as I see their smiling faces at the sight of me, it brightens my day. Selah cooes and laughs and talks to me, Caleb gives me a big kiss and I think to myself, 'What better way to spend my time and energy than investing in these incredible kids' lives???' And so, despite the fact that I am living off sleepless nights and harried mornings, I force myself to stop, sit down, and thank God for these incredible little blessings he has placed in my life. I would not trade a minute of my craziness for someone else's calm.

Well, my moment of silence has officially ended. My daughter is crying, my son is adoring her with his pokes and loving 'whacks' and my house is a nightmare. So until my next peaceful 'time out' I bid you farewell!

No comments:

Post a Comment