How sick is too sick?

Sunday, April 18, 2010

One of the greatest dilemma's I have faced as a parent is when I should take my child in to the doctor. In a society where everyone is trying to cover their buts, getting an honest opinion is next to impossible. Take the new 811 nurses hotline for example, I have called there at least 5 times and never received any helpful advice. In fact, the only advice I have ever received is to take myself/my child in to the doctor or the hospital immediately. Great, thanks, my next door neighbour could have told me that one. I mean seriously, why are we paying to have a 24/7 hotline that can't tell us any information other than refer us to a doctor. It is a waste of my time and my money.

Needless to say, yesterday when Malakai came down with this flu, we called the hotline. And surprise, surprise... were told to take him in. In fact, they even called me back and tried to convince me to take him in an ambulance. Sure, if you'll be paying for that! The over-reaction is ironic considering that the nurses at the hospital make you feel like a fool for coming in at all. Wow. Where is the middle line? You know what I am talking about, the snub-nosed doctors and nurses who smirk condescendingly as they ask, "So why are you here today dear?" Yeah, newsflash doc, I have three of these guys at home and I'm no idiot!

Sigh. Well, we took him in. And it was a good thing. They were able to give him an anti-nauseant and rehydrate him with enfalyte. At his age, there is not much else I could have done so I didn't let the silly remarks get to me. But I must admit, this constant guessing game of parenthood is overwhelming at times. Should I do this or that? Should I wait or should I react? Should I take them in or should I wait? I guess it all comes down to taking opinions and forming my own decision. I know my children, I know when they are really sick or when I have exhausted all my options. At that point, I need to put on my armour, take them in, and not let their comments get to me. I am mom, I know best!

3 comments

  1. You hit the nail on the head Becca. It drives me crazy when doctors or nurses make me feel stupid for bringing one of the kids in. The fact that we have 3 kids should only strengthen our position. We've been there...we know what a lot of things look like & when it's too bad. Even for 1st time moms though...that's the doctor's opportunity to let them know at what point they could bring the child in next time. It's all a learning process...but we know our kids best!
    The 24/7 nurses line...I agree. We have one here too. It totally depends on the day & who I talk to. I've had a select few nurses give me honest advice, but you're right, almost always they just tell you to go in...because they have to cover themselves.
    Anyway...know you're not alone...and that yes, you do know your kids best!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rebecca!
    I was just reading up on the last few posts...it seems things are quite busy these days...which makes total sense with 3 kids...I love all the insights and stories...
    We all miss all of you so very much these days!
    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi's right you did hit the nail on the head with this one. I have lost track of the smug looks and smart remarks from dr and nurses, not only when I have brought my children in but even myself. You know your children, you know whats normal and whats not and you know yourself so who are they to say its "normal" without first hearing the facts. I have also on countless occasions seen that smug look wiped right off their faces when they do realize that it is serious. Id say my worst/best experience was when I went into labour with Kaity and the nurse treated nme like I was some young un married (wasnt wearing my rings due too water retention) new mother that didnt have the first clue about how much pain I was in or going to indure. She seated me in the waiting room in the er (which was full) and processed my cards she took one look at my newly printed chart and Ive never seen a person move so fast. lol anyways yes if YOU feel your not feeling NORMAl or you children arnt then take em in. Love ya lots and I really enjoyed your last few posts

    ReplyDelete