My morning addiction

Wednesday, April 1, 2009



I have come to the drastic realization that I only write on my blog on mornings on which I have a coffee. And as I have been trying to cut caffeine from my daily diet, my blog has been sadly lacking. However, this morning I caved in (having just bought my favorite creamer, I couldn't resist) and made myself just a "small pot" to get me through the morning. Ah, I forgot how enjoyable a simple cup could be. To some people, coffee is just a "fix". They become addicted to the caffeine (don't worry, I was an addict to), and can't make their morning right without it. There is nothing wrong with this, however I have reached my own conclusion. After going through "caffeine withdrawl" for a couple days, I was cured. But the problem does not lie in the physical need, as it does for some, instead I realized that for me, I am completely emotionally addicted to this, life's little pleasure. Tea just doesn't cut it, trust me, I have tried. It has to be the drug-induced, teeth-staining, heart-stopping pot of black stuff or else my heart is just not in it. I don't do a whole lot for myself, who could with two mobile little munchkins under 2????? A shower is a rare-occurence, a shower in PEACE is almost non-existent. I don't wear makeup, I don't waste my time with my hair. I wear sweatpants and baggy shirts (it's a good thing my husband likes the frumpy look or else I would be feeling very sorry for him! :)) and stay locked in my house talking "baby talk" allllll day long! But this, my ritual cup of coffee, is for me. I can be racing after kids and have to heat it up 20 times, but it is so creamy and steamy, and each little sip, I feel a sense of indulgence. And with that indulgence, I am ready for my day. Who knew? So, dear reader, I am addicted to coffee. Not physically, at least not yet (this is my first cup in a week), but emotionally. Which I suppose is far, far worse. And I simply cannot bring myself to forgoe this one step of independance that I am allotted.

I was going to write an update on my family, but I think I will leave it at that. My thoughts on a cup of joe. What better to write about????

2 comments

  1. I always wished that I liked coffee... it does appear oh so soothing... if only it tasted as good as it smelled. :) I am glad you are allowing yourself this indulgence. I for one think you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your coffee attitude. I totally agree - there's nothing like strong coffee in the morning to get the off to a jump start.

    ReplyDelete